Friday, November 22, 2019

"it gives me renewed faith in mankind to know there are such people as you"

29 June 1938
Mrs. Albert H. LeBlond to Rev. Jesse Halsey
Cincinnati

Dear Sir:

Anyone busy with so many different kinds of good work as you are cannot long dwell on any one particular problem, it would see to me; and so I am hoping my troubles have long since been dismissed from your mind. For some time, however, I have felt it was discourteous, to say the least, not to acknowledge my debt of gratitude to you for your kindness and helpfulness when, in desperation, I came to you for advice early last spring. It is still a source of humiliation to me that I felt impelled to lay bare before another the private difficulties of our family. Winnie has improved very much, and probably has done so more through your influence than I may ever know. Therefore, I feel that my own humiliation is a small price I should gladly pay for what I believe is a permanent more wholesome outlook on life on her part.

Winnie got out of work the last of April and although she immediately applied through various agencies, she received no encouragement about a new position until business conditions improve. Don (our son) was most anxious for her to come to Greeley for the summer school term and, as she was persuaded to go, she is there with him now. Don had to be in Greeley through the summer to retain his job as janitor of the dorm, and is himself going on with class work there instead of taking an extension course here at U.C. as he at first considered doing. We are hoping the invigorating air and change of environment will further help Winnie in every way and that distance may enable her to learn her true feelings toward her friend.

Mr. LeBlond’s mother has been with us now, for almost a month. She has needed a daughter to look after her more than I realized—especially in the way of her clothing—and I hope I shall be able to do for her what she needs. Her other son, who drove here from Seattle, assured us that she is well able to shoulder her share of running expenses, so we are glad we risked moving here where we can make her comfortable, rather than renting what we alone could afford and where she would not have had a porch or large comfortable room.

Mr. LeBlond is again the devoted husband of former years, and, Don is applying himself to preparation for his life work; hence, while life is still far from easy in many respects, the problems that were proving almost too hard to stand-up under seem to be in the process of being solved.


My own sphere of usefulness in this world of need is very limited. Although I cannot have a part in the larger work, it gives me renewed faith in mankind to know there are such people as you, [General Secretary of the YMCA in Cincinnati] Mr. Judson McKim, Rev. Almy [L.W. Almy, minister of West Cincinnati Presbyterian Church] and the Aschams [J.B. Ascham, supt. Cincinnati Children’s Home] in our City, and Mr. Harry Emerson Fosdick and others elsewhere, doing what is possible to bring about “The Kingdom of Heaven,” of which Jesus spoke so many times and for which he, too, worked.

I was so sorry about your accident of some weeks past, and I hope you are entirely recovered. Thanking you again for your helpfulness to me, a stranger, I am

Sincerely yours,

Mrs. Abbie LeBlond



-->

No comments: