Thursday, May 10, 2012

"This will officially end my very happy pastorate"


  December 4, 1941
The Seventh Presbyterian Church
East Walnut Hills, Cincinnati
Jesse Halsey, minister

Dear Friends and Parishoners:

“For your fellowship in the Gospel, from the first day even until now, I thank my God on every remembrance of you, being confident of this very thing, that he who hath begun a good work in you will perform it unto the day of Jesus Christ.”

“And this I pray: that ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence, being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.”

Next Sabbath morning, December seventh, we will celebratethe Holy Communion together. Mr. Williams and Mr. Warr will assist me in theservice. At the close, I will, by order of the Presbytery, “declare the pulpit vacant.” This will officially end my very happy pastorate of over twenty-eight years. For unnumbered kindnesses to me and to mine, I am deeply grateful. You have been an ideal Church; may you always continue so to be and so to do.

Next Sunday evening at eight o’clock, the Reverend Clayton Williams will be installed as pastor by a committee of Presbytery. Dr. Joseph Sizoo of St. Nicholas’ Church, New York, will preach the sermon. A large congregation will be present to greet the new pastor who comes to undertake the ministry of The Gospel in this, the Church of our united love and devotion.

May God bless you and bless your new minister. He will receive at your hands the same generous and loyal support that you have always accorded his predecessor who, though he always remains your true friend, must now sign himself for the last time as

YOUR MINISTER
Jesse Halsey

No comments: