Tuesday, October 9, 2012

from "Some Stories of Old Whalers"

by Mrs. Edward P. White about 1932
…..
Hubert Anderson White (Cap'n Hubie) | Whaler, Farmer, and Civil War veteran
Another old sea captain whom I knew well used to sit on the side porch of his home smoking his pipe. I liked to ask him for stories of his whaling days—long past. He would always answer questions but never disclose any of his varied experiences. He had a little motor boat, and often sailed across Long Island Sound to New London. He was Captain Hubert A. White. One day he was arrested in New London because the motor was running with a muffler off. He paid his fine, and next morning appeared in court with thirty others who promptly pleaded “Not guilty” to the same offense.

“Guilty or not guilty?” said the judge to the captain.

“Guilty,” said Capt. White. “I didn’t know your law, but that is no excuse. I am guilty.”

Edward Post White, Sr., Lizbeth Halsey White, Hubert Anderson White, Albert Jessup Post, ?, Edward Post White, Jr., Sarah Elizabeth Post White | c. 1907
The judge then asked, “How long, Captain, since you have been in New London Harbor?”

“Not since I shipped from New Bedford in 1886.” (This was 1915.)

“How old a man are you?” asked the judge.

Edward Post White, Sr, Hubert Anderson White, Lizabeth Halsey White, Edward Post White, Jr., Sarah Elizabeth Post White, ?, Albert Jessup Post
At this, the white-haired, bright-eyed old captain proceeded to tell the story of his life in the space of three minutes. He came forward with a limp, left from the days of the Civil War, and said in tones that echoed over the quiet courtroom, “I was born the fourteenth day of May, 1832. I’ve been around the world three times, around Cape Horn seven times. I’ve sailed from Latitude 161 South to 76 North. I’ve been shipwrecked three times. I’ve been through the Civil War—and this is the first time I’ve been pinched.”

The courtroom broke into cheers, the judge waved the American flag and said, “Well, Captain, I think we will have to excuse you this time, here’s your money back.”

The old captain was never tired of telling the story, but I tell it here because it gives in a few words a glimpse into the lives of fearless hardihood of our old Long Island seafaring men.

Text courtesy Lizbeth Halsey White Files, Southampton Historical Museum Archives and Research Center; Photographs of Lizbeth and Edward Post White, Captain Hubie, et al, courtesy of Con Crowley, from a collection of photos belonging to his grandfather, Captain Ed White, Jr.

No comments: