Sunday, September 20, 2009

"She trained that little Charles to perfection"

Presbyterian Theological Seminary
2330 North Halsted Street
Chicago
Department of Pastoral Theology

Nov. 5, 1943

Mrs. Henry S. Comstock
95 Walnut St.
Winsted, Conn.

Dear Laura-
Your letter of Oct. 27, 1940, may have remained unanswered all this time; I came across it last night in going through my desk.

Two years ago we moved here after being 29 years in one Cincinnati church. I teach in this Seminary and supervise the work of the boys on the field; AND have responsibilities in camps in three states (for the war effort). So I am busy; have just spent three weeks in hospital getting patched up and feel fine again. My wife is very well; the younger girl Abbie graduates from Holyoke next month; the older girl is married and has a baby and lives near us.

And Charles, after all his ups and downs, is settled on a farm near my old home. His wife is an old family friend and semi-neighbor and his in-laws the salt of the earth kind who have several farms and lots of hard work, which Charles seems to thrive on. Yesterday, Charles and his wife had their first baby--a boy.

I see them occasionally when I get east and Charles is happy and contented, he didn't like the Laundry machinery but he loves farming.

Justine & Charles, Jr., circa 1938, Winsted, CT
I wonder how it goes with you and Justine (I often think of her). She trained that little Charles to perfection in the little time she had him (I forget nothing and forgive whatever there is--I can understand her leaving Charles, but not that little kid). He spoke of her to me last summer. He has grown, gets good care, but not the meticulous kindergarten kind that Justine knew about. His 'new mother' does well by him and her parents treat him like he was their own. I had him with me the few days I was in Southampton last summer; once I have had him out here for a month. He is happy there, goes to the such-as-it-is district school within walking distance; isn't a super scholar, but is coming along in reading and can write me a letter.

I should appreciate hearing about yourself and Justine.

With sincere regard,
Jesse

No comments: