Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Last Will and Testament of Abigail Fithian Halsey


Sept. 27, 1946
Suffolk County

I, Abigail Fithian Halsey, of the Village and Town of Southampton, County of Suffolk and State of New York, being of sound and disposing mind and memory, do hereby make, publish, and declare this to be my Last Will and Testament, hereby revoking all former Wills or Codicils by me at any time heretofore made.

I.               I give, devise and bequeath unto my beloved brother, Jesse Halsey, my land and dwelling situate on North Main Street in the Village and Town of Southampton, County of Suffolk and State of New York and adjoining premises now owned by him.
II.             I also give and bequeath unto my said brother, Jesse Halsey, my fiddleback chair now in the Colonial Collection in the Rogers House at Southampton, N.Y. , and also the oil painting of Montauk Lighthouse now hanging in my room.
III.           I give and bequeath unto my niece, Elizabeth White Adams, the sum of five hundred dollars ($500.00) and also all my books except as herein otherwise bequeathed. It is my purpose, also, that the family genealogy complied by her mother which really belongs to her shall pass to my said niece, Elizabeth White Adams, upon my death.
IV.            I give and bequeath unto my nephew, Edward Post White, my set of Kipling and also the historical books fro his father’s library which really belong to him.
V.              I give, devise, and bequeath unto my nephew, Harry Halsey White, two acres of land at Whalebone Landing, more or less as my Executor or Executrix shall determine and select, his or her selection and determination of quantity to be final, and also the sum of one thousand ($1,000) dollars and my Spool Bed and Bedding.
VI.            I give and bequeath unto Louise Burke White, wife of Harry Halsey White aforesaid, my Cambridge Edition of Poets (which includes Browning, Longfellow, Whittier, Burns, Mrs. Browning, etc).
VII.          I give and bequeath unto Helen Isham Halsey, my sister-in-law, the sum of fifty ($50.00) dollars and also my green and red bed quilt and my Sheraton chair and silver Florentine chain.
VIII.        I give and bequeath unto my nephew, Charles Henry Halsey, the sum of one hundred ($100.00) dollars and also the chest of drawers and mirror in my room.
IX.            I give and bequeath unto my cousin, Edna H. Ruland, the sum of one hundred ($100.00) dollars.
X.              I give and bequeath unto my niece and namesake, Abigail Fithian Van Allen, my mahogany stand with drawers and mirror, the blue and white bed quilt, my Fithian spoons and two (2) linen sheets.
XI.            I give and bequeath unto my niece, Helen Halsey Haroutunian, the blue woven bedspread which belonged to Grandmother Halsey.
XII.          I give and bequeath unto Joanna Ruland Honnett, the sum of twenty-fie ($25.00) dollars and also the dropleaf table in my room and my silver teaspoons which are like her mother’s.
XIII.        I give and bequeath unto Amanda Ruland Talmadge three (3) homespun towels and the old mug which belonged to Grandmother Halsey.
XIV.        I give and bequeath unto Jean Elizabeth Adams the sum of fifty ($50.00) dollars and my string of pearl beads.
XV.          I give and bequeath unto Gerald Adams, Jr., the desk which is now in my room.
XVI.        I give and bequeath unto Sarah White Adams my set of books called “My Book House.”
XVII.      I give and bequeath unto each of the following the sum of ten ($10.00) dollars: Harry Halsey White, Jr., Merritt Burke White, Sophie Haroutunian, Joseph H. Haroutunian, Charles H. Halsey, Jr., Wilmun Jesse Halsey.
XVIII.    I give and bequeath unto Edward Pearson White the sum of fifty ($50.00) dollars.
XIX.        I give and bequeath unto Helena Elizabeth White the sum of fifty ($50.00) dollars.
XX.          I give unto Nancy Herrick Hartwell my amethyst brooch which was given to me by her Grandmother.
XXI.        All the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate, real, personal and mixed, of whatsoever nature and wheresoever situate, of which I shall die seized or possessed or to which I may be in any size entitled at the time of my death, I give, devise and bequest unto my niece, Elizabeth White Adams.

I direct, however, that all inheritance, legacy, succession and similar or other duties or taxes which shall be or become payable in respect to any property or interest passing hereunder or pursuant to any Codicil hereto, shall be paid out of the capital of my residuary estate as part of the expense chargeable against same.

Lastly: I hereby nominate, constitute and appoint my brother, Jesse Halsey, Executor of this my Last Will and Testament. In the event that my said brother should predecease me, I nominate, constitute and appoint my niece, Elizabeth White Adams, Executrix hereunder. I direct that my Executor or Executrix shall serve, whether in the State of new York or elsewhere, without being required to give any bond or security for the faithful performance of his or her duties as such, any law to the contrary notwithstanding.

In witness whereof I, Abigail Fithian Halsey, have to this my Last Will and Testament, subscribed my name this 23rd day of July, 1946.

No comments: